Approved for Professional Development Credit (PDC) through SHRM, and for 1 (General) Recertification Credit Hour through HRCI.
Title: Why Hire Military Spouses
Panel Discussion with Host: Erin Kaberline and Panelists: Rachel Bell, Cliff Clevenger, Shanna Smith, Carla Miller, Bonita Owens.
Summary of program:
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes, in collaboration with Starbucks, announced the launch of Hiring 100,000 Military Spouses, a three-year, national call-to-action campaign for companies and businesses, of all sizes, across America to make a collective commitment to hire 100,000 military spouses.
While much of the country is experiencing the lowest unemployment rates in decades, military spouses are still unemployed at a rate of 16%, over four times the rate of their civilian counterparts.
The goal of the Hiring 100,000 Military Spouse Campaign is to address the issue of military spouse unemployment and underemployment and provide real solutions for military spouses seeking meaningful 21st century career opportunities.
· Review the typical professional challenges military spouses face throughout their service members’ careers, including licensure, underemployment, military culture, etc., and differentiating these challenges from those faced by military veterans.
· Address typical military spouse stereotypes.
· Explain why military spouse unemployment and underemployment have a direct impact on military readiness.
· Provide information about organizations that are working to connect private sector business with professional military spouses.
· Discuss the potential impact San Antonio organizations could have by creating internship or return ship programs for military spouses and encouraging current military spouse employees to identify themselves and plug into the military community here.
Menu: Meatloaf, Italian Creme Cake.