Position Summary :
Serve as an appointed/elected member of the chapter leadership. Monitor and evaluate on a continuing basis pending legislative, regulatory and legal action at the federal, state, and local level that may have an impact on the management of human resources. Present a legislative report or update to the chapter president and fellow chapter members. Inform elected officials of SHRM's position on legislation affecting the human resources profession. Work in close cooperation with the State Public Affairs Director and the SHRM headquarters staff in carrying out these responsibilities.
Responsible To :
The members of the chapter
The chapter president
State council legislative director
- Attend and participate in all scheduled chapter meetings.
- Maintain contact with state legislators and Member of Congress.
- Monitor state and local government activities and provide timely information on public policy issues to the chapter president, state council legislative affairs director, and the SHRM’s Governmental Affairs Department.
- Initiate action in response to legislative alerts under SHRM's HRVoice program after coordination with the state council legislative affairs director or the SHRM’s Governmental Affairs Department.
- Serve as an advocate at chapter activities or other professional meetings. Develop and support workshops and seminars that address public affairs issues. (ELU, etc.)
- Inform chapter members about HRVoice programs and how to use the letter-writing feature on the SHRM web site.
- Promote within the chapter increased knowledge and activities for influencing legislation.
- Write regular legislative updates for chapter newsletter.
- Participate in the SHRM Governmental Affairs Core Leadership Area conference calls and webcasts.
- Participate in the development and implementation of short-term and long-term strategic planning for the chapter.
- Represent the chapter in the human resources community.
- Attend all monthly membership and board of directors meetings.